Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Roman Mysteries series

Book Blah is an idea that has been taking shape for a while now. And may have continued to be only in the imagination if it was not for Wordjunkie. You see she is sharp not just of features but also of tongue. So here I am writing my book review.

To commemorate the launch of book blah or maybe because I got them in the post today, I am giving away five librarywala gift vouchers. Using them will mean you need not pay the registration fee. What do I get in return, you ask? Well, actually if you tell them I gave you the gift vouchers, they will waive off my membership fee as well. I have used this library for a year now and have absolutely no complaints. So if you live in Mumbai and love a good book, send me a line...

Caroline Lawrence - The Roman Mysteries series
Set in 79 AD, the series are the adventure filled stories of four children. These are not Enid Blyton characters, fresh with the innocence of childhood and hence a limited world view. These are children who have seen the darker side of life - there is Flavia, the ace investigator, Nubia, the ex slave girl, Jonathan, a practicing Christian at a time when Christianity itself was frowned upon and Lupus, the boy who cannot speak. Behind each of them lies a fascinating story that unravels as you read the series.

And don't be fooled by the first century setting. History here is never served as a separate lesson but as part of the plot. Historical events like the sacking of Jerusalem and the eruption of Pompeii are narrated as personal events in the life of the characters. And as we watch them struggle to survive such huge catastrophes, I, for one, forgot the distance in time....
Ancient festivals like the Saturnalia become a setting for the past paced action. The children meet and discover the world of slave traders, pirates, gladiators - all a a big part of life in Rome but always shown in relation to Flavia and her friends.

I started reading the series, which will eventually grow to 17 books because I love Greek and Roman history but as the growing popularity of the series shows, there is enough to attract many different kinds of readers.

Meticulously researched, cleverly crafted, these books are recommended for anyone who likes fast paced action or whodunits and a peep into another era.

BBC has apparently already done a TV series on the books. For information about the books, go here.

POSTED BY NITYA

2 comments:

  1. Favourites in our house too! Will show this review to my daughter when she gets back from school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nitya we ( my 11 year old and I) loved these books too- discovered them at the British Council ; Assasains of Rome , Pirates of Pompei and other such intersting sounding stuff..right now we're onto Percy Jackson.
    Hey your librarywala sounds too good to be true- a friend of mine is a member and swears by it- are you really giving away free membership vouchers ??

    ReplyDelete